Meat in the shape of a loaf

I am Horrible at math. I am a former first grade teacher turned high school teacher who teaches remedial reading to far below basic students....let's keep this in mind for this post shall we? Don't judge me for my poor mathematical skills, just love me for me.

I am SOOOOO excited!! I've been getting some great recipes in my gmail for my Project Wife Wifey Challenge! Thank you, readers! Keep 'em comin'!

My first challenge is from my Kuya's best friend. We call him Big Richard. He's a gentle giant, this guy. People might be scared of him and Kuya says that when they are together, on-lookers think he is his bodyguard.















This guy is one of the most generous guys I know. It's no surprise that he was the FIRST to send his recipe. I forgot to mention that this guy is a Beast in the kitchen. He definitely knows his way around the spice rack.

Project Wifey Wife Week 9- The Savory
Big Richard's Big Meatloaf















Ingredients:
3 Tbs of Olive Oil
5 cloves of garlic; minced
1 medium onion; diced
1 red bell pepper; diced
1 yellow bell pepper; diced
2 Large eggs
1 Tbs of dried Thyme
2 lbs of ground beef
1 Portuguese sausage; cut quarter triangles
1 cup panko breading
1/2 cup of Romano or Pamesean cheese; grated
1 1/4 cup of Ketchup
2 Tbs of Balsamic Vinegar plus 1/4 cup for glaze

**Remember... I SUCK at math**

1. Heat oil and saute garlic, onion, and bell peppers until almost soft (about 5 minutes). Salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and set aside.
















2. In a large bowl, whisk together 2 eggs and Thyme.















I cannot count. 2 does not equal 3 Ms. Joanna.

Cut the sausage into quarter triangles? THE HELL? Ummmm there's isosceles, equilateral..... I.am.lost.
















...add meat, sausage, panko, cheese 1/2 of the ketchup.....

crap... what is half of 1 and 1/4 cup.... I was never good at fractions. They hated me and made my life miserable. Why must you follow me and taunt me Fractions! WHY!!!?

2 Tbs of Balsamic Vinegar and mix together with your hands.
"I will get you my pretty...piece of meat."















Add the sauteed veggies.















3. Make the glaze. Mix 3/4 cup of Ketchup and 1/4 cup of Balsamic Vinegar.

1/4 + 1/4 +1/4 = 3/4 right? ::le sigh:: We did not teach fractions in first grade.
















Mold meat into loaf  and drizzle glaze on top.


4. Spread glaze, cover with foil, and bake at 375 for 1 1/2 hours.

 














**Note to chef... put another pan underneath to catch drippings... I did this last minute :(**















I served this with easy Garlic Parmesan Smashed Potatoes.

Red potatoes, Garlic, milk, butter, grated Parmesan, salt, pepper, and olive oil.
 


















Dinner is served...















The Verdict?

I've actually never had meatloaf before. I'd like to say that a brick of meat doesn't sound good...but I'm a McRib fan... and I don't care who knows it!! Don't knock it 'til you try it.

Anywho- Hubs and I really liked this dish. It was incredibly moist and juicy and not that dry, brick like consistency I was expecting. The thyme and balsamic vinegar took center stage, kung fu kicking that flavor to the tongue. The bell peppers and ketchup gave it a sweet contrast that was pleasant to the buds. I liked the smokey flavor of the Portuguese sausage, it gave this loaf some sex appeal.

Two thumbs up Richard...now how much do you charge to kick my ex-boyfriend's butt? I keed.
To the Meatloaf haters...maybe this might change your tune. It's legit.

1 comment:

  1. I've only had meatloaf once in my life, so maybe I'll try this recipe out. How many people does feed?

    ReplyDelete

I want to know what you think...no really I do! Leave a comment, question, or just a hello. It'll make me SMILE!

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS