Thursday: Parent Teacher Conferences..... about 4 hours...only 5 parents showed up. ::le sigh:: Sometimes I feel like I can't make a difference.
Friday: Rehearsal Dinner for my good friend's wedding.
Saturday: Karen and Bryan's Wedding. Just beautiful.
Funny story... Karen is the one who actually got me and Sergio together. She was the matchmaker and I really should thank her for helping me meet my love!
And now it's Monday...yes Manic Monday. Let's not pretend that I totally glazed over Sunday in my recap. Sunday was one of those days that I didn't get anything done and now I'm playing catch up! Oh, how I long for a break.
For now, I'm hanging on for dear life!
But, I did have time to make a nice little dinner. Don't ask me how... I just always make time for food. Nevermind the piles of laundry, dishes in the sink, and taxes that need to be filed. I need to EAT dammit!
Steph's Baked Macaroni and Cheese!
6 slices of bread, torn to pieces, crusts off.
1 stick of butter (2 Tbs for bread, 6 for cheese sauce)
1/2 cup of flour
5 1/2 cups of milk
2 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
4 1/2 cups of sharp yellow cheddar
2 cups of grated Swiss cheese
1 lb elbow macaroni
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 3 quart. casserole dish and set aside.
Do you like my birdie towel? So retro no?
2. Place bread pieces in a bowl and pour 2 Tbs. of melted butter over bread and toss.
3. In one saucepan, heat the milk. In another saucepan, melt 6Tbs. of butter.
You're so delicious. You kill me, literally. I don't care what anyone says, I love you.
Love, my clogged arteries
4. When butter bubbles, add flour. Cook and stir for ONE minute.
5. Slowly pour hot milk into flour-butter mixture while whisking. Whisk constantly until mixture bubbles and becomes thick.
6. Time to Grate like you've never Grated before.
Between Grating and Whisking, my Guns are surely getting a workout! Hello HULK arms!
On a serious note, I hate Grating Cheese. And I need to learn how to do real people push-ups.
7. Remove pan from heat. Stir in salt, nutmeg, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and cheeeeeeeese!
Is it just me or is Cheese freggin' Amazing!? The correct answer is IT IS!!
8. After cheese is melted, Stir partly cooked Elbow macaroni into the creamy yumminess.
9. Pour into casserole dish. Sprinkle a CRAP load of cheese and Scatter the breadcrumbs over the top. Bake for 30 minutes.
It's SHOWTIME baby!
This is my rainy day comfort food. It warms my heart and soul....actually, it just makes my tummy happy. Carbs are a girl's best friend. Period!
Or is it, carbs are a girl's best friend when she's on her period? Ok too much?
We ate on kid plates...because we are fun like that. And because it just seemed fitting. Don't be jealous? Buy yourself some too homie!
Oddly enough, I didn't eat Mac and Cheese as a child. Maybe it was because I grew up in a filipino household. Our simple staple meal was Spam and Rice.... Don't cringe, Spam is legit.
What was your simple staple Childhood meal?
What is your rainy day comfort food?