Just another Macaroni Monday! Wish it was Sunday!

My my my, how time flies!

Thursday: Parent Teacher Conferences..... about 4 hours...only 5 parents showed up. ::le sigh:: Sometimes I feel like I can't make a difference.

















Friday: Rehearsal Dinner for my good friend's wedding.

















Saturday: Karen and Bryan's Wedding. Just beautiful.















Funny story... Karen is the one who actually got me and Sergio together. She was the matchmaker and I really should thank her for helping me meet my love!






















And now it's Monday...yes Manic Monday. Let's not pretend that I totally glazed over Sunday in my recap. Sunday was one of those days that I didn't get anything done and now I'm playing catch up! Oh, how I long for a break.

For now, I'm hanging on for dear life!

But, I did have time to make a nice little dinner. Don't ask me how... I just always make time for food. Nevermind the piles of laundry, dishes in the sink, and taxes that need to be filed. I need to EAT dammit!

Steph's Baked Macaroni and Cheese!

Ingredients:
6 slices of bread, torn to pieces, crusts off.
1 stick of butter (2 Tbs for bread, 6 for cheese sauce)
1/2 cup of flour
5 1/2 cups of milk
2 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
4 1/2 cups of sharp yellow cheddar
2 cups of grated Swiss cheese
1 lb elbow macaroni

1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 3 quart. casserole dish and set aside.
















Do you like my birdie towel? So retro no?

2. Place bread pieces in a bowl and pour 2 Tbs. of melted butter over bread and toss.















3. In one saucepan, heat the milk. In another saucepan, melt 6Tbs. of butter.

Dear Butter,
You're so delicious. You kill me, literally. I don't care what anyone says, I love you.
Love, my clogged arteries

4. When butter bubbles, add flour. Cook and stir for ONE minute.
















5. Slowly pour hot milk into flour-butter mixture while whisking. Whisk constantly until mixture bubbles and becomes thick.















6. Time to Grate like you've never Grated before.















Between Grating and Whisking, my Guns are surely getting a workout! Hello HULK arms!















On a serious note, I hate Grating Cheese. And I need to learn how to do real people push-ups.

7. Remove pan from heat. Stir in salt, nutmeg, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and cheeeeeeeese!















Is it just me or is Cheese freggin' Amazing!? The correct answer is IT IS!!
















8. After cheese is melted, Stir partly cooked Elbow macaroni into the creamy yumminess.















9. Pour into casserole dish. Sprinkle a CRAP load of cheese and Scatter the breadcrumbs over the top. Bake for 30 minutes.
It's SHOWTIME baby!















This is my rainy day comfort food. It warms my heart and soul....actually, it just makes my tummy happy. Carbs are a girl's best friend. Period!

Or is it, carbs are a girl's best friend when she's on her period? Ok too much?















We ate on kid plates...because we are fun like that. And because it just seemed fitting. Don't be jealous? Buy yourself some too homie!
















Oddly enough, I didn't eat Mac and Cheese as a child. Maybe it was because I grew up in a filipino household. Our simple staple meal was Spam and Rice.... Don't cringe, Spam is legit.

Tell Me:
What was your simple staple Childhood meal?
What is your rainy day comfort food?

7 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the Spam. Growing up, it was a regular because it was inexpensive when you served rice and some peas with it. I still make it today with pineapple and brown sugar on top. Even Bret eats it and loves it. Go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at Mac and cheese and yours looks amazing! But spam and rice...made my nose all squish up. I'm trying not to judge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baked mac n cheese is seriously my guilty pleasure. I know my fav recipe like the back of my hand. You can never fail with comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a child, I LOVED fried chicken! I still do (I think I have my mom to thank for that since that's what she craved while pregnant with me). I'll take chicken tortilla soup on a rainy day. Is that the same mac n cheese from NYE? I'm craving it now! It was SO GOOD!! :)

    Karen looked so beautiful, and so did you!! Send my congrats and best wishes to her!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mac and Cheese is totally my comfort food from growing up.

    Since you're a fan too, you MUST go to Mac and Cheeza in LA. It a little place that lets you customize your food, and it only serves Mac and Cheese. Amazing and worth the drive. http://macandcheeza.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our staple food was rice, meat/fish with veggies... typical Filipino food huh? I love grilled cheese and tomato soup when I'm sick. Your mac and cheese looks great!

    And yay for you and Sergio! I love you both! =D

    ReplyDelete
  7. This recipe is soooo good and easy to make! I was a little impatient with the milk, flour mixture to get thick but low and behold it finally happened. Huge hit with my friends, hubby, and his friends!

    ReplyDelete

I want to know what you think...no really I do! Leave a comment, question, or just a hello. It'll make me SMILE!

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS