As much as we try and plan date nights (At least once a month, I used to say), life gets busy and that romantic night we so desperately need gets pushed to the back burner. Babysitters are few and far between when grandparents aren't in reaching distance so we have to make do with what we have. My language of love is always to cook a comforting meal and my Valentine's Day meal is no exception. To my husband and me, a nice dinner at home is just as sweet sometimes.
Valentine's Day Chicken Pot Pies
Makes 4-Yay leftovers!
1 Stick of Butter
1 Small Onion; chopped
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cup chicken broth
2/3 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of pepper
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup frozen carrots
1/4 cup parsley; chopped
1 pound cooked chicken; cubed (I used a rotisserie)
1 package of Crescent Seamless Dough
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil.
2. Heat the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
3. Add the onions and cook until soft. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute. Gently stir in the stock, milk, salt, and pepper and let the liquid thicken up.
4. Toss in the chicken, corn, carrots, and parsley. You can use the traditional peas but I hate peas and they will not set foot in this
6. Divide the filling among four 1 1/2 cup ramekins and drape the dough over the tops. Seal by pressing gently on the sides of the ramekins and be sure to cut a few decorative air holes on the top. Don't forget our cute hearts. It's not Valentine's Day theme without the hearts, don't cha know. Brush the tops with a beaten egg to achieve that golden brown color.
7. Bake the potpies on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 35-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Let stand for 15 minutes. De-vour.
I'm not sure if potpies are an aphrodisiac or how many romantic points it will give you but it sure is cute and delicious. And this is perfect if you're no longer into the crowded restaurants and over priced V-day meals. It's all about that warm fuzzy feeling...in your stomach and in your heart. Awwwww.