Valentine's Day Dinner for Two

Baby is finally asleep upstairs. The lights are dim and the glow of the baby monitor adds a soft romantic touch to the atmosphere. The sweet sounds of Mickey Mouse Fun House plays in the background as we snuggle together on the couch. Then, it happens... we fall asleep. Yup, that's about how romantic it gets here, folks. I'm tired. He's tired. Snuggle on the couch means pass out on the couch.

As much as we try and plan date nights (At least once a month, I used to say), life gets busy and that romantic night we so desperately need gets pushed to the back burner. Babysitters are few and far between when grandparents aren't in reaching distance so we have to make do with what we have. My language of love is always to cook a comforting meal and my Valentine's Day meal is no exception. To my husband and me, a nice dinner at home is just as sweet sometimes.


Valentine's Day Chicken Pot Pies

Makes 4-Yay leftovers!

Ingredients:
1 Stick of Butter
1 Small Onion; chopped
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cup chicken broth
2/3 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of pepper
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup frozen carrots
1/4 cup parsley; chopped
1 pound cooked chicken; cubed (I used a rotisserie) 
1 package of Crescent Seamless Dough


Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil.
2. Heat the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.

3. Add the onions and cook until soft. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute. Gently stir in the stock, milk, salt, and pepper and let the liquid thicken up.


4. Toss in the chicken, corn, carrots, and parsley. You can use the traditional peas but I hate peas and they will not set foot in this house mouth.






 5. Roll out your pie crust and cut out adorable hearts. I die. It's too cute.


6.  Divide the filling among four 1 1/2 cup ramekins and drape the dough over the tops. Seal by pressing gently on the sides of the ramekins and be sure to cut a few decorative air holes on the top. Don't forget our cute hearts. It's not Valentine's Day theme without the hearts, don't cha know. Brush the tops with a beaten egg to achieve that golden brown color.




7. Bake the potpies on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 35-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Let stand for 15 minutes. De-vour.





I'm not sure if potpies are an aphrodisiac or how many romantic points it will give you but it sure is cute and delicious. And this is perfect if you're no longer into the crowded restaurants and over priced V-day meals. It's all about that warm fuzzy feeling...in your stomach and in your heart. Awwwww.

3 comments:

  1. I'm a huge fan of homemade pot pies- so much healthier and better tasting than the frozen ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the cutest! I'm making an "inside joke/music" themed menu, basically I'm cooking and renaming them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures - that looks WONDERFUL and I love the hearts for Valentine's Day. :)

    ReplyDelete

I want to know what you think...no really I do! Leave a comment, question, or just a hello. It'll make me SMILE!

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS